Student and
Family FAQs


What is the academic calendar for the spring?
The first day of class is January 25.
Spring break will be March 8-12.
Pre-registration for fall 2021 is April 20-22.
The last day of class is May 7.
The final exam period will take place May 10-14 for all students, including seniors.

How will classes be taught in the spring?
The CMC faculty remain absolutely committed to delivering the highest quality education to our students. Courses will be taught virtually in a variety of synchronous and asynchronous ways. Faculty adopted many innovations to improve the learning of our students while in a virtual format. Faculty have provided more specific information about how their courses will be taught and requirements for synchronous and asynchronous participation prior to registration. You should feel free to reach out to them if you have any questions.

Can students change their course schedule?
Yes, all students can adjust their course registration during the add/drop period, which began Nov. 23.

What will the course schedule look like for students in different time zones?
Most courses will be scheduled in the Pacific time zone; however, more courses will be offered at night and early in the morning to accommodate students in different time zones. Faculty have been encouraged to consider which components of their courses they will run synchronously during assigned class times, and which components they will run asynchronously (e.g., pre-recorded lectures, exercises, videos, readings, quizzes, projects, and the like). Faculty will indicate whether, due to the pedagogical nature of the course, the course is offered fully and exclusively synchronously—i.e., you are not able to utilize asynchronous options such as recorded lectures, to make up synchronous work that is missed. Please reach out to faculty if you have questions.

What will the grading policy be for Spring 2021?
The grading policy can be found in the AY 20-21 Course Catalog.

Can students still take classes at the other 5Cs?
Cross-campus registration will continue per usual.

How will Keck Science and lab courses operate?
Lab courses have been redesigned to accommodate online learning. Each faculty member and department assumes responsibility for the conversion of courses to ensure that all learning objectives are being met. Feel free to reach out to faculty to learn more about how specific lab courses have been adapted for the spring.

Is CMC committed to a May graduation?
There are no plans to shift the current spring graduation date. A working group of senior students and staff is working on a range of options to celebrate the many accomplishments and graduation of the class of 2021.

If you take a semester off, what does graduation look like?
Our policy is unchanged. If a student takes a leave of absence for the term, their graduation may be delayed depending on the number of credit hours the student has earned. See the CMC Academic Catalog, Degree Requirements for Commencement or contact the Office of the Registrar for additional details. Students may transfer back up to 2 units of academic credit per CMC’s Transfer Credit and Off-Campus Programs policy.

What is the due date for spring thesis?
The CMC senior thesis due date will be May 3, 2021.

The Keck Science thesis due date will be May 3, 2021.

How will course assessments be administered?
Each faculty member will explain how assessments will be administered for their specific class. As is true when classes are in person, there will be a range of assessment methods used across courses.

Will traveling for thesis research be impacted?
Currently, CMC’s restrictions on travel due to COVID-19 remain in place. Students should discuss the implications of this with their thesis readers.

Is there support for seniors to access analytic software needed to conduct their senior thesis research?
The College will be able to grant students temporary licenses to software. Faculty whose courses require specialized software will be issued license information to share with their students.

How might faculty structure their online classes in a way that will engage students in the same way as in-person classes?
Faculty continue to work to ensure that courses are engaging. They have taken workshops in online course design and used one-on-one coaching from experienced online instructors. For synchronous class meetings, faculty may opt to use “Zoom Rooms,” in which the technology is sufficiently sophisticated that students’ experiences online will more closely mirror the in-person class experience. Many faculty are adjusting their pedagogies to include many more small group discussions; invited speakers from academics, policy and industry; research projects; one-on-one meetings; and other innovations.

Will office hours be offered online?
Office hours will be online as arranged by each faculty member.

Will study abroad programs, the Silicon Valley Program and the Washington Program still be options in the spring?
There are no plans to cancel study abroad, the Silicon Valley Program or the Washington Program. If you are approved to participate in either program, CMC will contact you regarding any specific information related to your program, including housing and internships. The SVP and Washington Program’s courses will be taught virtually.

Will the spring Silicon Valley Program and the Washington Program still follow the regular academic calendar?

Will there be changes in Athenaeum programming?
Athenaeum programming in the spring will be virtual with quality speakers and programs.

What will Physical Education classes look like?
CMS PE courses will be taught virtually this spring with synchronous and asynchronous options available to students.

Academic Support Resources

I usually get my books from the CARE Center NextDorm Book Loan Program. Are those books still accessible?
Given that students departed campus abruptly last March, many were not able to donate their books at the end of the term. The CARE Center NextDorm Book Loan Program will be reactivated when students return to campus. In the meantime, students in extreme need of support with textbooks can contact Sue Layden in the Dean of Students Office for assistance.

Will Huntley Bookstore be shipping books?
Huntley Bookstore will continue to remain open throughout the spring semester. You can purchase books online through Huntley and have them shipped directly to your home, including to most international locations. Additionally, Huntley receives the electronic version for most textbooks, which can be rented, often for less than the cost of the hardcopy purchase.

Will Center for Writing and Public Discourse (CWPD) consulations be available?
Absolutely! You can make an appointment using their online scheduling platform. Appointments that work for international time zones are also available.

Will I be able to get a DOS Peer Tutor or work with a Success Consultant this spring?
Success Consultants and DOS Peer Tutors will be available for individual and small-group sessions over Zoom. The Success Consultant program will also be hosting various virtual workshop series, such as Best Life Strategies and Chill, throughout the spring. Please visit the Academic Success webpage for updated information.

Will the Quantitative Computing Lab (QCL) consultations still be available for students?
Yes, one-on-one mentoring will continue to be offered via Zoom. As a substitute for walk-ins, QCL plans to offer “mentor office hours.” The mentors will be available via Zoom without appointment at given times throughout the day and evening.

Will there be any workshop opportunities at the Quantitative Computing Lab (QCL) as there have been in the past?
Yes, the QCL will continue offering “online-only” workshops at different times throughout the day (e.g., one in the morning and another in the late afternoon for the same workshop). Topics will include Excel, Tableau, R, Python, MATLAB, and LaTeX. QCL may add a couple of new workshops in the spring such as SQL (database) and supercomputing.

Is there funding available to students receiving need-based aid to assist with Wi-Fi or a Data Plan to support online learning?
Students on financial aid will receive a modest standard allowance in their cost of attendance budget to enhance Wi-Fi and or Data Plan coverage. This will increase their eligibility for need-based assistance.

Is there funding available to assist with technology purchases such as headphones, web cameras, computers, or printers?
CMC is able to offer problem-solving advice and, when necessary, limited financial support to students who are otherwise unable to access the technology needed to be successful in online educational experiences. Please complete the AY2020-21 Technology Assessment Form. A member of the Information Technology Services (ITS) team will be in touch with you to discuss your circumstances.

Will I be able to call an RTA for technology support even when I am living off-campus?
Yes – Via Zoom at; via phone at 909-607-3054; or via email at You can also get assistance by going to, clicking on the “LOGIN” button, filling out the form, and hitting Submit.

Will support services be available to students in different time zones?
Yes, we will accommodate a wide range of time zones when designing our support services.

Accessibility Services

Will my accessibility (ADA) accommodations remain the same?
All academic accommodations will stay in place for students with documented disabilities. Should students need new or different accommodations for the virtual learning environment, they should reach out to to request those. Housing accommodations will be put on hold and instituted when the student is approved to return to campus.

Will the Accessibility Services office still offer test proctoring for students with accommodations?
Accessibility Services will not offer any live proctoring but are available for assistance to faculty and students in meeting the accommodation. In the virtual environment, many accommodations can be handled by the faculty member, such as extended time. For students with distraction reduced accommodations, we can provide helpful tips for how to make your space less distracting in order to support your overall academic success.

If I did not have accommodations previously, but need them due to the virtual learning environment, can I request them?
Yes, any student who has an existing or new diagnosed disability with a need for accommodations, can and should request them. Please visit the Accessibility Services website for more information.

Athletics and Recreation

What will happen with CMS Athletics this semester?
Because of the inability to reopen residential life, CMS Athletic competitions are currently on hold. 

We continue our commitment to explore meaningful competitive experiences for student-athletes, and we are working with the SCIAC on possible scheduling options for a range of scenarios. Discussions and decisions related to athletics participation will continue to take place throughout the spring semester.

Will CMS Recreation have programs this semester?
CMS Recreation will have a variety of virtual programming starting in January: classes, intramurals, and workshops. Our goal is to continue to support the fitness and wellness needs of our students, faculty, and staff during these challenging times.

Is Roberts Pavilion open?
All Athletic and Recreational facilities—including Roberts Pavilion and Axelrood Pool—remain closed until further notice.

Financial Aid and Campus Employment

What will happen to on-campus jobs?
Remote CMC student-employment opportunities are available. As is normally the case, students who are unable to work will have the opportunity to convert their work study “self-help assistance amount” to “self-help in the form of a student loan.” Students need to make a request in writing to the Office of Financial Aid in order to initiate this change.

For students seeking CMC employment, the Soll Center for Student Opportunity will post open roles as they become available. Students can also contact departments directly. Most opportunities can be accessed through Handshake, the Center’s online recruiting system.

The Soll Center for Student Opportunity is also increasing the availability of micro-internships and smaller engagement, project-based opportunities. Please make an appointment with Ursula Diamond at to learn more. First-year students should reach out to Amy Hendrickson, assistant director of first-year programming, at

The College has also encouraged faculty members to hire student assistants. As departments finalize their student worker options, we will work hard to make those options available. Please continue to reach out to the Soll Center for Student Opportunity and the Career Coaches for guidance and support.

How do I notify the Office of Financial Aid where I will be living this spring?
Students receiving financial aid notified the Office of Financial Aid of their living arrangements by submitting the CMC 2020-21 Housing Plan Form  this past summer. Changes in your living arrangements for spring 2021 must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid by submitting your Spring 2021 Housing Plan Form. The form is available in your Net Partner portal. The deadline to submit your Spring 2021 Housing Plan Form with your spring living arrangements is Sunday, December 13, 2020. Your final decision regarding living arrangements can impact the cost of attendance budget used to determine financial need. The Office of Financial Aid will be working with this finalized information to either confirm or update your financial aid award so that your first bill will accurately reflect your “expected financial assistance.”

How will students who receive need-based aid toward food, housing, etc. be assisted with off-campus housing?
Students living off-campus in locations other than their home or with relatives will be packaged to their institutional need, with the standard room and board included in CMC’s Cost of Attendance for the semester. Students living at home or with relatives will be packaged to their institutional need with the standard board allowance for the semester. You will receive an email instructing you to check your Net Partner account to view your financial aid award once the Spring 2021 Housing Plan Form has been processed for any potential changes. Your award will be updated no later than Wednesday, January 6, 2021, if you submit the Housing Plan Form by the deadline of Sunday, December 13.

Per CMC’s Student Account policies, if students have a credit balance on their student account once their direct charges are paid as a result of financial aid credits, they will be able to request a refund from the Office of Student Accounts. Federal, state, and non-institutional aid is usually reflected as “expected financial assistance” on the student’s account about three weeks prior to the start of the semester and will not generate a credit balance on the student account until it is received, which typically occurs toward the end of the first month of the semester. This means that your refund, if applicable, will not be available to you until mid-February. It will take two weeks to receive your refund. You are encouraged to request the funds to be sent to you via direct deposit to expedite the process. Refunds are only deposited to domestic accounts.

The Request for Refund of a Credit Balance form with instructions is found here.

What if I need financial assistance with the cost of making my housing arrangements before a credit from my financial aid will be available on my student account?
Students with CMC need-based grant assistance can request an early disbursement up to $2,500 to help with these expenses. Requests can be made by submitting the CMC Off-Campus Housing Grant Request Form. This form will be available to you in Net Partner if you are eligible to convert a portion of your CMC Grant to a CMC Off-Campus Housing Grant once your Spring 2021 Housing Plan Form has been processed.

The deadline to submit the Campus Grant Housing Form is Monday, January 4, 2021. Once the Housing Grant is disbursed to your student account, you will be notified by the Office of Student Accounts that you are eligible for this refund, and a link will be provided to make your request. Please note that this refund process is different from the general student account refund process.

What will happen to work study jobs? 
CMC will try to expand opportunities for remote work study jobs. As is normally the case, students who are unable to work would have the opportunity to convert their work study “self-help assistance amount” to “self-help in the form of a student loan.” Students need to make a request in writing to the Office of Financial Aid in order to initiate this change.

Will the $100 off-campus housing fee be waived this spring?
Yes, there will be no off-campus housing fee in spring 2021.

Will first-year students still be billed for an orientation fee?
No, the bulk of the orientation fee covered the Welcome Orientation Adventure trips. This fee will not be charged this year. Should a trip opportunity emerge later in the year, the College will develop a reasonable fee structure at that time if necessary.

My family experienced a loss of income due to COVID-19. Can I apply for additional financial aid?
Yes, the Office of Financial Aid has an appeals process for such circumstances. Please be sure to follow all steps outlined in the appeals process.

Are there institutional loans available to students who are seeking off-campus housing?
You may be eligible to take out a loan to assist you with your off-campus housing. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information about your specific circumstances.

Will there be any adjustments to the travel amount in the cost of attendance for students who will not be traveling to campus for the spring 2021 semester?
Yes, if you will not have the expense of traveling to campus/Claremont for the spring 2021 semester, the spring amount in your financial aid budget for transportation will be eliminated. The spring allowance for transportation will be reviewed in January and be eliminated if you are not traveling to campus/Claremont in the spring.

Will students who opt to live at home while enrolled still have to pay room and board?
Students who are not living on campus are not billed for room and board charges.

What happens if I have an outside scholarship that requires me to be on campus while enrolled?
Students should contact the agency or foundation that has issued their scholarship to talk about the circumstances at CMC. The Office of Financial Aid or Dean of Students can speak to representatives of those agencies or foundations if needed to verify that CMC has moved to online courses for good reason.

What if you receive financial aid and decide to take a leave of absence (LOA) for spring 2021 instead of enrolling at CMC?
You should update the Office of the Registrar and the Office of Financial Aid once you determine you will take an LOA. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions.

What happens to my financial aid if I decide to enroll at CMC this spring as a part-time student?
Generally, students who are enrolled as part-time students are not eligible for their merit-based or need-based assistance. The Office of Financial Aid will evaluate eligibility for merit or need-based aid on a case-by-case basis for the spring 2021 semester. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions.

If I have previously had a campus job, will my employment be ended or can I work remotely?
The College is allowing remote work for the campus (either work study or non-work-study employment) based solely on the exigent circumstances posed by COVID-19. When the COVID-19 circumstances allow the full resumption of our residential program, students will no longer be permitted to work remotely.

How can students access emergency funds?
The College has limited emergency funds for costs that fall outside the cost of attendance. Students can apply for the funds here.

Health Services and Insurance

Will I be required to have health insurance if I am living at home or off-campus and I am not spending any time on campus for the spring 2021 semester?
Yes.  However, waivers and enrollments for students who elected their 2020-21 health insurance coverage in fall 2020 will remain in place with a few exceptions. If you are currently enrolled in the 2020-2021 SHIP coverage, you do not need to take any action; your coverage will continue through August 29, 2021. Similarly, most students who waived enrollment in SHIP will continue to be covered by the waiver information they submitted in fall 2020. To assist students whose circumstances have changed, for example, because their prior insurance discontinued or does not cover them in their current location, we will run a limited waiver process for the Student Health Insurance Plan in spring 2021.

The following groups of students will be required to provide information regarding their insurance plans and submit a waiver request form to the Dean of Students. If you fall within one of the groups listed below, please contact Lyn Hughes to request a waiver form as soon as possible. The Spring 2021 waiver period will begin on December 11, 2020, and will end on January 25, 2021. If you have not submitted your waiver by January 25, you will be enrolled in the spring/summer coverage and the premium of $1,735 will be charged to your student account.

Students who will need to submit a SHIP waiver request for spring 2021:

  • International students who waived SHIP in the fall but will be leaving their home country to study remotely in the U.S. for spring 2021.
  • Domestic students who waived SHIP in the fall using a state specific plan but who will be leaving their home state to study remotely for spring 2021.
  • Any student whose current coverage will change for 2021, for example, if you have a new insurance company, or the coverage provided by your policy has changed substantially.

If you waived SHIP in the fall but now wish to enroll for the spring/summer coverage (1/4/21 – 8/29/21), please contact Lyn Hughes to request enrollment.

Finally, if you have any questions or are not certain as to whether you need to submit a waiver for spring, please don’t hesitate to contact Lyn Hughes by email or phone at (909) 607-7950.

  • Any student who was not enrolled in CMC in fall 2020.

If I was not enrolled in fall 2020 but will be enrolled in spring 2021 will I be required to have health insurance?
Yes.  When enrolled at CMC, all students, regardless of where you live, are required to have health insurance.

Enrolled domestic students who carry personal health insurance coverage may request to waive enrollment in the Claremont Colleges Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) by submitting information and proof of coverage to Students who do not complete the waiver process will be enrolled in SHIP.

Enrolled international students who reside in the U.S. are automatically enrolled in SHIP but may apply for a waiver to show proof that they have health insurance coverage by a domestic insurer who pays claims in the U.S. and the policy meets all the waiver requirements for coverage. International students may apply for a waiver by contacting Lyn Hughes in the Dean of Students Office at

Enrolled international students who reside outside the U.S. are automatically enrolled in SHIP but may apply for a waiver to show proof that they have comparable health coverage in their home country of residence. International students may apply for a waiver by contacting Lyn Hughes in the Dean of Students Office at

Can students living locally go to SHS for COVID-19 testing?
Student Health Services (SHS) will be available to local students for basic medical needs; however, the College has contracted with Hamilton Health Box, an independent, licensed health clinic which has a location on CMC’s campus, to assist CMC students with COVID-19 assessments, testing, symptom monitoring, and contact tracing. You can access HHB by phone (909) 607-2301 or by email:

Healthy Culture Initiatives

What is the WHOOP Pilot?

For students interested in improving sleep and exercise habits, avoiding burnout, reducing alcohol and caffeine use, and developing healthier nutrition and hydration habits, the Success Consultants are starting a pilot using WHOOP straps. Students can join one of the two pilots for the spring term. Right now, we have 30 straps, so we anticipate running two pilots of 30 students each for 8 weeks. Check your email regularly for important application information from the Success Consultants account and follow @cmcdos for updates.


How can Success Consultants help?

The peer assistants help students develop well-being, academic, and life skills and strategies to achieve their goals at CMC. Students can schedule regular meetings with them to talk through time management and organization, overcoming procrastination and test anxiety, efficient reading and note-taking, and exam prep. The peer assistants can also help with goal-setting and habit-building, streamlining workflow, sleep management, stress-tolerance and coping skills, and healthy living. During the last 6 weeks of the fall term, success consultants were booked solid.


What is the Best Life and Chill Workshop Series?

These are discussion series designed and facilitated by Jordan Hamilton, a PhD student in positive psychology at CGU and a former professional athlete. His mission is to empower individuals to improve their well-being and performance in life through evidence-based skills. These weekly, themed workshops are well-attended and terrific opportunities to build important life and well-being skills. As a bonus, it is another opportunity to forge connections with other CMC students.

Housing, Residential Life, and Storage

Will we still have Resident Assistants?
Resident Assistants (RAs) will still be assigned to cohorts of students. RAs will sponsor community building and virtual programming as well as resource support for students.

Can students live off campus in non-college owned apartments in the Claremont area?
Yes. However, students who choose to live off campus may not come to campus for classes or other activities.

Will the $100 off-campus housing fee be waived this spring?
There will be no off-campus housing fee in spring 2021.

How flexible will CMC be with current students taking a leave for a semester?
CMC encourages students to make the decision they feel is best for them personally and academically. Students can take a general leave of absence (GLOA) by filling out the GLOA Request Form which is processed by the Registrar’s Office. Housing for the semester of return will depend on the student’s lottery placement. Students should familiarize themselves with the Leave of Absence Policies before requesting a GLOA.

Are there any CMC housing options if I am an international student already in the U.S. without off-campus housing options, or if I am a domestic student who is without a home, or whose extraordinary circumstances render me unable to live at home?
CMC leased a building at the Alexan Kendry apartment complex to offer housing to a small number of students who are faced with extraordinary housing circumstances. Interested students should contact Sue Layden, Senior Associate Dean for Student Success. Prior to granting such a request the DOS will:

  • Exhaust all solutions to make their home option tenable (technology, work/desk space, Wi-Fi support, etc.)
  • Identify inexpensive non-CMC housing

Is CMC helping students find off-campus housing if they choose not to live at home and are not approved for CMC housing in the petition process?
The Dean of Students Office is happy to provide guidance as students independently seek off-campus housing options, but the College is not responsible for securing students’ housing. CMC strongly recommends that students seek off-campus housing in areas outside Claremont and Los Angeles County where COVID-19 conditions are better.

Will CMC have students on campus at all in spring 2021?
We hope that the public health situation improves in L.A. County and we will be permitted to house students by late March.

CMC stored my belongings when we left in March. What’s the plan for those things since we can’t return to campus?
CMC will continue to store students’ belongings until March in the hope that we may resume some residential programming. In March, we will work with each student not returning to campus to coordinate the best way to get your belongings back to you. If you prefer to come to campus to get your things between now and then, someone from the Dean of Students Office or Facilities & Campus Services can assist you in retrieving your belongings from storage.

If I stored a bike on campus, will it be shipped to me?
Bikes will not be shipped to students. All registered and stored bikes will remain in the Stark and Crown storage rooms for the spring semester and students can retrieve bikes when they return to campus. If a student is local and would like to retrieve their bike from campus, email MaryKate Jacobs, Assistant Director of Student Activities, to coordinate pick up.

Will students who live locally be allowed to visit campus?
No, the campus will be closed during spring semester except to those employees whose work requires them to be on campus (following strict health and safety protocols), or to those students with prior permission to enter campus (for example, to retrieve a stored item). Should the Claremont Colleges Consortium decide in the future to offer services, CMC students would be able to access those services while following protocol.

International Students

Will international students be able to live on campus this spring if they are unable to return to their home country?
International students on financial aid who are in need of housing should contact Sue Layden, Senior Associate Dean for Student Success.

What will the course schedule look like for students in different time zones?
Courses will generally be scheduled in the Pacific time zone. Faculty have been encouraged to consider which components of their courses they will run synchronously (e.g., during assigned class times) and which components they will run asynchronously (e.g., pre-recorded lectures, exercises, videos, readings, quizzes, projects, and the like). Faculty will indicate whether, due to the pedagogical nature of the course, the course is offered fully and exclusively synchronously—i.e., you are not able to utilize asynchronous options such as recorded lectures, to make up synchronous work that is missed. Some faculty are scheduling their courses early or late in order to make them more accessible to students in different time zones; others may add separate sections for such students. Please reach out to faculty if you have questions.

Will I still be in valid F-1 status even if I am not in the U.S.?
Continuing students will keep their F-1 status as long as they maintained active F-1 status during the spring 2020 and fall 2020 semesters and continue to remain enrolled full time (3 credits or more) at CMC during spring 2021. Please contact Chrystal Orozco ( for more information.

I have heard about a “5-month rule,” which says that F-1 students who are out of the country for 5 months for any reason would need to apply for a new F-1 visa to return to campus. Is this true?
Students who kept active F-1 status during the fall 2020 semester and remain enrolled full-time while outside of the U.S. are able to maintain their F-1 status. They would not require a new SEVIS record nor a new visa to return. A new F-1 visa is required only if the visa will expire before returning to the U.S.

Am I able to be enrolled part-time in spring 2021 as a student in F-1 status?
International students must be enrolled in at least 3 credits to maintain their F-1 status. Exceptions can be made for: (1) students with medical reasons necessitating a reduced course load and (2) students in their final semester who do not need to be enrolled in 3 credits to complete their graduation requirements. Reduced course load requests must be submitted to and authorized by Chrystal Orozco (

As a new international student, am I able to begin taking classes at CMC from abroad before my F-1 visa has been issued?
Yes. There are no regulations preventing students from attending CMC from outside of the U.S. without the F-1 status. Your F-1 status would become valid once you are able to enter the U.S.

Will I be able to enter the U.S. with my F-1 visa during the spring 2021 semester?
Students with a valid F-1 visa and Active SEVIS record may re-enter the U.S. so long as there are no travel restrictions applied to their country of departure.

According to the Fall 2020 ICE guidance, students with SEVIS records in “Initial” status are not currently permitted to enter the U.S. while enrolled in fully online classes. New students and students who were on leave for the spring 2020 and/or fall 2020 semesters should contact Chrystal Orozco ( for more information.

As a returning student, am I able to take a leave of absence for the spring 2021 semester if I do not want to take classes online?
Returning students who wish to take a general leave of absence for the spring semester would have to terminate their F-1 status and SEVIS record. To return to campus after a leave of absence, students would need to request a new SEVIS record and Form I-20 to return to campus. If you are considering a leave of absence, please contact Chrystal Orozco (

If I take a general leave of absence, would I need to apply for a new F-1 visa to return?
As long as the F-1 visa currently in your passport is unexpired, you will not need to renew your F-1 visa to return to the U.S. after your leave of absence. You will likely need a new SEVIS record and Form I-20 from Chrystal Orozco. Citizens of Canada and Bermuda are not required to obtain a physical F-1 visa and would only need a new SEVIS record and Form I-20 to return to CMC.

If I decide to take a leave of absence for spring 2021, will I be able to intern in the U.S. using CPT authorization for the summer of 2021?
Students are eligible for off-campus internships or employment (using CPT or OPT) after completing 2 consecutive semesters at CMC in Active F-1 status. Returning to the U.S. on a new SEVIS record after a leave of absence would “reset the clock” on the academic year requirement for CPT and OPT. This means that students taking a leave of absence for spring 2021 would not be eligible for off-campus internships and employment in the U.S. during summer 2021.

I will be residing outside of the U.S. during the spring semester. Will I be required to have the College’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?
You will be required to carry health insurance coverage, and you can elect to enroll in SHIP or utilize your personal health insurance coverage in your home country. If you would like to request to waive the SHIP coverage and utilize your personal insurance, you will need to provide proof of comparable insurance coverage in your home country. If an international student would like to request a spring 2021 waiver from SHIP, they must contact Lyn Hughes in the Dean of Students Office, or they will be automatically enrolled in SHIP. This exception to waive SHIP does not apply to CMC students residing on campus in Claremont or enrolled in approved off-campus study (SVP, DC, or abroad). For general information on SHIP:

Will international students in the U.S. be able to access treatment for COVID-19 under student health insurance?
Yes. International students will be able to use the SHIP coverage for COVID-19 treatment.

Would international students be able to transfer courses from their home country back to CMC?
International students may be able to transfer some courses back from universities in their home country; however, all transfer opportunities must be approved by the Office of the Registrar, and approval should be sought prior to your enrollment at any other institution:

Will the College continue to provide resources to international students on an as-needed basis (tech and internet needs, financial assistance and tutors)?
CMC is committed to the success of our international students and will work closely with individuals around their specific needs. For specific questions about enrollment intentions or for any kind of academic or social support for AY 20-21, please email and

Are there any options outside the U.S. for international students to continue their courses while living near other CMC students?
This spring, international students and students whose permanent address is outside the U.S. may qualify to participate in a new program in London that would allow CMC students to live together and support one another as they take CMC courses virtually. Please see the link to the PDF below for details on the program, FAQs, and how to apply.

London Program Information

Mental Health Support

Should we expect any changes at Monsour Counseling and Pyschological Services (MCAPS)?
All MCAPS services will be delivered remotely in the spring 2021 semester, including group therapy and workshops. Counseling, assessment, and crisis services will be done via teletherapy or telephone (student’s choice). Due to California mental health licensing laws, MCAPS can only offer ongoing teletherapy/telephone appointments (individual or group) to students living in the state of California. However, MCAPS therapists can and will see students via teletherapy for a one-time consultation, Rapid Access Initial Assessment*, or crisis session. MCAPS will then work with each out-of-state student to provide locally based referrals for ongoing care. Out-of-state students can also participate virtually in drop-in outreach workshops, which will be offered several times per semester focused on a range of topics.

To improve equity and timeliness of access to mental health services, MCAPS now offers a Rapid Access Initial Assessment. Every student at The Claremont Colleges requesting MCAPS services will be seen for a 20-25 minute appointment within a few days. During that appointment, students may be assessed as appropriate for brief, goal-directed therapy at MCAPS or referred out for long-term, more intensive, or more specialized treatment. MCAPS will no longer use a session-limit model where all students are entitled to 8 sessions specifically; rather, MCAPS will offer this Rapid Access Initial Assessment universally, with the goal of connecting each student as quickly as possible to appropriate mental health care. Brief therapy through MCAPS will be provided to those students who are appropriate candidates for short-term care.

To access services at MCAPS, please call (909) 621-8202. For after-hours crisis services, the voicemail message will prompt you to press “1” to be connected to an on-call therapist.

How will psychiatry at MCAPS work?
Psychiatry appointments will occur remotely this semester. California licensing laws also affect psychiatry; therefore, MCAPS psychiatrists can only see students residing in California for ongoing appointments. Students who are outside of California are encouraged to continue working with their doctors from home. MCAPS will provide local referrals to students who do not have a psychiatrist at home or are looking to see a psychiatrist for the first time.

Will the 24/7 therapy phone line still be available?
Yes, this semester, students will have access to two 24/7 on-demand support. Both are free of charge.

ProtoCall: Connect with a counselor over the phone (909-621-8202 & Press 1)

On demand video-therapy is available 24/7 for students wishing to speak with a licensed professional through 7C.Health. This NO-COST option is available to ALL students at The Claremont Colleges, regardless of whether they are living on campus, locally off campus or in a different part of the country. Students can access therapists and crisis counselors at any time.

Will CMC’s case management program work differently this spring?
Jess Neilson, Assistant Dean of Student Health, Wellness and Case Management, will continue to serve as a connection point for those who would like to explore therapy or other emotional wellness options. She will still be working with students who are interested in pursuing mental health support options off campus. Jess can help to locate providers near students’ residences. Jess will also continue to be available for emotional crisis support and to consult with all members of the CMC community around mental health concerns.

Will CMC offer supplemental mental health counseling services and support resources as it has in the past?
Yes, CMC will continue to offer supplemental mental health support (likely virtual) by contracting with a number of local therapists. We are working out details to offer as much intentional support as we can, through a variety of modalities (individual sessions, group sessions, drop-in hours). Please stay tuned for more details throughout the summer. A full list of mental health resources can be found here.

Will ASCMC still hold virtual mental health events?
ASCMC plans to hold a variety of virtual events throughout the semester, including those that address mental health.

Will DOS still hold de-stressor events over Zoom?
Yes! This is a time for us to be creative in the ways we address stress and self-care. We will look to provide opportunities to connect both over Zoom and through other avenues.

Will CMC/DOS check in with students?
Yes! Expect regular communication from DOS throughout the semester. Additionally, students working with specific individuals or departments on campus (e.g., Academic Success & Success Consultants, Case Management, Soll Center, CWPD, Tutors) can expect to continue receiving support as they always have, except that meetings will be virtual.

Is there a process to follow if you are struggling at home/need help?
Yes, absolutely. Support services on campus will be available, and they are ready to work with you! The Dean of Students office can provide support in a number of areas, including academic, mental health and emotional wellbeing, disability and accessibility services, social connectedness and more. The DOS staff can be reached via email or phone, and can help connect you to other campus resource offices as needed.

If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, you can reach a licensed therapist 24/7 either by phone (909-621-8202, dial 1) or video teletherapy (7C.Health).

If you are worried about a friend, you can let us know by completing our CMC Cares referral and someone from our office will reach out.

Research Institutes

Will the Research Institutes be able to have student employees? 
Yes, the Research Institutes will be able to have student employees. Please visit the Research Institutes and Centers gateway and reach out to the Directors for more information.

What programming and research will continue or stop due to virtual learning?
Remote research and virtual programming will continue.

Will the Research Institutes fund licenses to the software research programs or just enable remote desktop access?
When possible, the Research Institutes will fund licenses to the software programs that are necessary to conduct institute research.

Soll Center for Student Opportunity

What will Career Services programming look like in the spring?
All Career Services support and programming will continue to be available in virtual formats including all employer interactions, networking treks, and alumni and parent panels. Additionally, we are continuing the new coaching program where a dedicated career coach will individually connect with every student. The Center has also put together a team focused on proactively working with employers, alumni, and parents to create more internship, micro-internship, and full-time opportunities for students.

What will recruitment look like in the spring?
All recruiting will be virtual during the spring semester (interviews, networking events, info sessions, etc.). All students will be able to participate in recruiting activities, regardless of location.

Will taking a semester off impact my recruiting strategy?
There are certain industries which rely heavily on specific recruiting timelines: financial services, consulting, and software engineering are good examples. In these industries, taking a semester off may have implications for your eligibility to apply for junior summer internships and full-time roles, as recruiters typically look for specific graduation dates to fill their new-hire classes. Outside of the industries noted above, there is less rigidity on interview timelines for both full-time and internship hiring. To discuss your individual recruiting questions, please schedule an appointment in Handshake to talk to a Career Coach at the Soll Center.

Student Activities

Will clubs be active this semester, and will there be a Spring Club and Institute Fair?
Yes, clubs can still be active this semester by utilizing virtual meetings and programming. A spring CMC Club Fair will be held virtually in the first few weeks of class to give you a chance to meet club leaders and learn more about each organization. The ASCMC VP of Campus Organizations is available to help all clubs create virtual programs, run efficient and engaging virtual meetings and elections, or even start a new club. Questions? Email

Will CPB have programming in the spring?
Yes, CPB will be offering a variety of virtual programming this semester. As always, you can follow CPB on Instagram@cmccpb and keep an eye out for our weekly inform email during the year to learn about upcoming virtual events. Questions or ideas for virtual events? Email

Will the CARE center be providing programming this spring?
Yes, CARE will be offering virtual programming and introducing a different variety of programs, including podcast, short video and interactive online events.

For affinity groups, is there a space to gather virtually?
Students are encouraged to think about creative ways to gather and stay connected while virtual. Many groups have continued to meet and some are planning more joint programming.

Will CMS Athletics offer virtual programming this spring?
As was the case in the spring, CMS Athletics plans to offer limited virtual programs as staffing and availability allow.

Will there be changes in Athenaeum programming?
Athenaeum programming in the spring will be virtual with quality speakers and programs.

Will there be additional events?
The College is committed to offering a diverse and robust schedule of virtual events and speakers with the same principle of accessibility applied to an on-campus setting. We plan to offer even more events to accommodate additional students and meet the demands of various time zones. Additionally, in every instance where allowed, events will be recorded. This spring, we will also be accepting students’ proposals for funding and organizational support for other activities that students are excited about. Details and an online proposal link will be available when the semester starts.

Title IX

Can I still contact the Title IX Office to make a report?
Yes, while the College has moved to online classes, the Title IX Office is still open. You can contact the Title IX Coordinator at to make a report. She will contact you to see if you would prefer to meet via Zoom or a call. You can also still report anonymously to CMCListens.

If I am concerned about a friend, where can I get information about resources for them?
The Title IX Office is still open and provides resources such as accommodations and support resources. You can also meet with the Title IX Coordinator to get more information about resources that may be available.

Can I continue seeing the counselors through the EmPOWER Center and Project Sister?
We are working with the EmPOWER Center and Project Sister to make sure students have access to counseling.

These Frequently Asked Questions  are subject to change as additional questions are added and as new or more informed answers emerge.